The down comforter are a good solution and very comfortable to not be cold in bed while you are sleeping, they are light at the some time that they give enough heat. In addition, they usually have some very nice covers, which fit perfectly with the bedroom decoration.
However, the problem is in their care and cleaning. And although you can wash the down comforter in the laundry or self-service washing facilities, this is a process that can also be done at home, although it should be noted that not all down comforters sets are washed in the washing machine.
If you have one and do not know what to do or how to clean it, from a HOW we explain how to wash a down comforter in the washing machine, and above all, to know if you can clean it or not.
Can I Wash My Down Comforter in Washing Machine?
One of the main questions that arise when cleaning the down comforter bedding sets is whether or not it can be washed in a washing machine. And this is a very important question because not everyone is cleaned like that. And, what do you have to take into account? How do you know? Thus, it is necessary to pay attention to two important aspects to know if a down comforter can be washed in the washing machine or not.
- The Label: All down comforter have a label indicating the composition and instructions for washing. In this way, it is essential to pay attention to whether or not the machine wash symbol is included and the temperature at which it should be made, in case it is possible to wash it in the washing machine.
- The Size: Initially, if the down comforter can be washed in the washing machine, there would be no problem in doing so cleaning. However, you have to be cautious based on your size because there are some that are so large that they do not fit into the hype of the machine. In addition, during the wash, it takes a lot of water and increases its weight, so it is important to take into account the capacity of the washing machine and the kilos of washing for which it is manufactured.
For example, you can wash a down comforter in a 7 kg washing machine if the size of this bedding is adequate, but if it is larger it is not convenient to do it in the washing machine and it will be better to wash the Nordic clothing by hand, or take it to a dry cleaning or self-cleaning to use a washing machine with more load capacity.
If these parameters are not respected, this, in turn, can lead to two problems: one is that the down duvet is not washed well because it occupies all the space of the drum and can not move well inside for washing. The second possible problem is that the weight of the down comforter, especially when wet, can cause the axis of the washing machine to deviate, which will lead to the washing machine spoiling and having to face a repair that is not very cheap let’s soy.
Tips on How to Wash Down Comforters in The Washing Machine
To wash the down comforter in the washing machine, it is important to follow a series of steps so that it does not spoil. The key, above all, is that the feathers do not pile up and get spread equally throughout the interior of the quilt so that it is created as a kind of air chamber that is precisely what keeps the heat and insulates from the outside.
To do a good cleaning and maintenance, follow these tips to wash the down comforter in the washing machine:
- Putting Tennis Balls: It is convenient to put three or four tennis balls wrapped in cotton socks in the washing machine together with the down comforter. It is not a topic. It works because the balls, during washing, are hitting the quilt, which makes it easier for the down comforter to redistribute and not be all caked.
- Choose The Washing Program: Once you have the down comforter and the tennis balls tucked in, it is time to choose the washing program. If nothing is indicated on the label, the best option is to opt for a program for delicate items in cold water. The detergent is recommended to be equally for delicate or soft clothing.
With these steps, it would only be necessary to click on the start button of the washing machine so that the washing can be carried out without problems or complications. Now, the next step will be to dry it, which also has its peculiarities.
In addition to being careful when washing the down comforter in the washing machine, you should also follow a series of steps and precautions when drying. And it is an equally decisive process to dry well and that the feathers are well redistributed. To do this, you have two options: put it to dry or use the dryer if you have at home and not indicated otherwise on the label.
In Each Case, Follow These Tips to Dry The Down Comforter:
- Without a Dryers: you should dry the down comforter horizontally, an a clothesline or a table, and turn it around every so often so that the feathers do not concentrate in some areas and facilitate their distribution inside.
- With a Dryer: so that it does not spoil it is important to choose a temperature in the dryer that is low. In addition, it is also advisable to introduce several tennis balls wrapped in socks – both the balls and the socks have to be dry – to help the redistribution of the down comforter feather as it happens during their washing.
Regardless of how you dried it, it is convenient to wait for it to dry before picking it up to store it or to sleep with it. In the event that it is not going to be used until the next autumn-winter season, it is advisable to store it in specific plastic bags for down comforter. Many of these items, when purchased, come with a case that is the most suitable.
In addition, the down comforter always has to be stored in a very dry place so that the down comforter feathers do not spoil or moisture enters, which will also prevent it from concentrating bad smells and mold.
With these tips and explanations on how to wash a down comforter in the washing machine that we give you in a COMO, you can clean it without problems. Anyway, if you have any questions, consult beforehand in specialized stores and laundries to make sure that it can be washed in the washing machine and how you can get the best result.